We are a diverse and fully-distributed team from around the world, working toward our shared vision to raise the standard of trust online.
Join us as a remote Senior Data Engineer, assisting the DuckDuckGo Data Science team that is responsible for maintaining traffic quality and preventing fraud.
As part of our growing team, you will collaborate with team members at all levels to identify and remediate invalid traffic on our platform. Examples of projects you might work on include: identifying trends with the objective of improving site performance, leveraging data to develop statistical solutions to help fight fraud/improve traffic quality, partnering with stakeholders to quickly respond to rapidly-evolving threats, and assisting with growing a team dedicated to data science and invalid traffic mitigation.
We empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their work. If you would thrive in that environment, and our core values resonate with you — build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction — you’ll fit right in!
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Lead high-complexity projects from scoping to production
- Work closely with search engineers and business managers to respond to rapidly-evolving threats
- Apply a data-driven approach to a wide variety of signals to identify, understand, and scope emerging fraud/traffic quality trends and uncover root causes
- Improve our existing invalid traffic detection system through automation, better signals, workflow streamlining, and system optimization
- Participate in the full development cycle: design, develop, QA, experiment, analyze, and deploy
- Participate in a shared on-call rotation to quickly respond to real-time invalid traffic incidents
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Significant experience with data science, with a focus on analytics
- Experience with statistical modeling and time series analysis
- Confidence with pragmatic use and development of data structures and algorithms
- Experience in botnet detection and mitigation
- Experience in invalid traffic or fraud prevention on at least one large web-based application
- Ability to effectively navigate and improve a large and complicated code base quickly
Annual compensation: $144,000 USD and stock options.
Maintaining satisfaction at work is one of our company objectives, just like maintaining and improving our private search engine. Our Team Member Support Guide explains how we make you our top priority.
For over a decade, we’ve built a unique culture that helps us continuously improve job satisfaction and productivity. Want to know more? Check out DuckDuckGo Culture: How We Work for an overview of how we collaborate worldwide.
OTHER THINGS TO KNOW
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- While this is a full-time job and we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expect an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
Hiring works best when it’s a two-way street. Learn how we help you get to know DuckDuckGo and envision your future role here. Find out more about how we hire.
DuckDuckGo provides equal work opportunities to all team members and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you.
PLEASE NOTE THAT
- A successful candidate will be subject to a background check.
- By applying for this role, you confirm that information submitted is accurate and that you understand falsification is cause for denial of employment or termination.