Training is a core activity across EMBL-EBI, involving almost every part of the organisation and coordinated by a team of around 30 people. The Training Team delivers a world-recognised programme that encompasses training delivered virtually and face-to-face to a global audience alongside self-paced online learning, up-skilling of trainers and secondments. Scientific Training Officers and Systems Administrators work with the Scientific Training Coordinator to produce and deliver scientific course content; Events Organisers work with the Events Manager to organise course logistics, and Project Managers work with the Head of Training to deliver innovative projects to build capacity and Infrastructure for Bioinformatics and Data science. The EMBL-EBI programme also sits under the umbrella of the EMBL International Advanced Training Centre (EICAT) where we work closely with colleagues across all EMBL sites to deliver an EMBL wide programme of events.
We are looking for a Dev Ops Engineer to join the Training Team at EMBL-EBI. You will be part of a small team focused on compute infrastructure to enable the delivery of bioinformatics training courses. The main tasks will be to set up and maintain a virtualised training environment on public and private cloud to enable the team to run compute-intensive courses (on site and virtually).
You will take the lead in supporting and developing EMBL-EBI’s state-of-the-art VM-based training infrastructure, and for the maintenance of EMBL-EBI’s IT training facilities. This will include automation and maintenance of (primarily Linux) VM images via our remote data centre and on AWS/GCP, building bespoke images for specific courses (and supporting trainers to do so), making the appropriate VMs available for courses, providing technical support during courses, and contributing to the development and implementation of tools, processes and guidelines for internal and external users of our training facilities. Much of the software used for the EMBL-EBI training programme is at the cutting edge of bioinformatics research and is evolving rapidly; you will need to apply excellent problem-solving, project-management and interpersonal skills to create fully functional VM images.
Resourcefulness is a necessary skill in this role. You should be able to diagnose and resolve problems quickly. You should also have the patience to communicate with a variety of interdisciplinary teams, trainers and course participants.
You will support other systems administrators within the team, providing guidance (mentoring) as and when needed, in order to help them develop their skills.
Your goal will be to ensure that our training courses run smoothly using our compute infrastructure, providing technical support and guidance to trainers and course participants as and when needed.
- Build and deploy course VMs on primary remote VMware based setup and secondary AWS Cloud
- Support trainers in testing of course images, and participants during courses
- Monitor and maintain the core training infrastructure, using Dev Ops best practise at all times to ensure an uninterrupted course programme
- Proactively troubleshoot issues and outages, liaising with other systems teams across the institute when required
- Support of on site hardware (Windows thin clients) in our two bespoke training rooms
- Stay ahead of the curve by leading the team in the research and purchase of cutting edge hardware and software. This includes tailored software implementation into our bespoke training environment.
- As and when needed, supporting the setup and maintenance of a Kubernetes cluster
- Ensure the wider training team are kept informed of key developments and issues, and provide basic infrastructure training to new training team members
- Write and maintain technical documentation of team processes
- A BSc in Information Technology, Computer Science or a related discipline is a plus
- Proven experience in:
- Linux Administration (at least 5 years)
- Managing a virtualised environment, preferably VMware (at least 3 years)
- Working with public Cloud computing, preferably AWS (at least 2 years)
- Configuration Management, automation and orchestration of Linux, Windows, and cloud instances (preferably Ansible, terraform and Cloudformation)
- Linux Network administration
- Environmental variables (Conda mainly)
- Managing a container Engine and building/troubleshooting container code (preferably Dockerfiles for Docker)
- Cloud storage and network mount experience
- Solid Linux, virtualisation, and AWS troubleshooting skills
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills
- Excellent communication skills, a collaborative mindset and an ability to work effectively with multiple stakeholders
You might also have
- Experience in:
- Working with external suppliers to procure hardware and software, familiarity with operation of audiovisual systems (or willingness to learn how to provide basic AV support in the IT training rooms)
- Health and Safety procedures would be helpful.
- Mentoring and training other colleagues in a technical discipline
- Working within a team that runs events with an international audience, either in person or virtually
- Familiarity with:
- Administering a Windows domain via active directory and configuring DHCP and DNS
- Commonly used bioinformatics and biostatistics software packages, ideally backed up with some formal training in bioinformatics, would be an asset.
- MS Windows and Mac OSX will enable you to support speakers and trainers who bring their own laptops.
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind’s greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme including 17% employer contribution, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3 year contract, renewable to a maximum of 9 years.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so, if you are currently based abroad. Read more about how we are recruiting during the pandemic.
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date: 27th August 2021.