The Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon conducts cutting-edge international research for a changing world: Around 1,100 employees contribute to the tackling of climate change, the sustainable use of the world’s coastal systems and the resource-compatible enhancement of the quality of life. From fundamental research to practical applications, the interdisciplinary research spectrum covers a unique range.
Institute of Materials Physics
The Institute of Materials Physics operates instruments on large-scale equipment for structural investigations of materials and works on the development and characterization of novel lightweight materials for high-temperature applications, for example in aircraft turbines and automotive engines. Hereon has a unique infrastructure for complementary materials research with photons and neutrons.
Data scientist / research software developer for the multimodal and multiscale image analysis of X-ray tomography and transmission electron microscopy data
Reference code: 50066332_2 – 2021/WP 7
Commencement date: as soon as possible
The place of employment is Hamburg.
Application deadline: September 12th, 2021
Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon is operating an outstation on the DESY campus in Hamburg. At the synchrotron radiation source PETRA III at DESY, our Institute of Materials Physics operates imaging beamlines for X-ray tomography (P05 IBL, P07 HEMS) along with supporting laboratory instrumentation (FIB-TEM, CT) for academic and industrial users. Our Institute of Metallic Biomaterials develops and studies biodegradable magnesium alloys as implant material. Using multimodal imaging, we aim to understand the mechanisms that control the interactions between the material microstructure and its mechanical, corrosive and biological properties. In order to enhance the material characterization, we aim to establish a platform for the analysis of multimodal and correlative data from micro- and nano-tomography as well as transmission electron microscopy. We are therefore looking for a data scientist or research software developer to analyze multimodal and multiscale image data. The acquired data will serve in material simulations and for the development of digital twins.
You will be responsible for developing vocabulary and schemes for describing correlative methods for material characterization using X-ray imaging and electron microscopy. You will develop analysis methods for data from experiments for the multiscale and multimodal in situ characterization using synchrotron radiation-based tomography and transmission electron microscopy. The algorithms to be considered include classical as well as machine learning methods of (image) data analysis. Additionally, you will be responsible for the seamless integration of measurement data and associated digital laboratory books into a metadata repository optimized for materials science applications. You will create generic workflows that represent and structure, facilitate the exchange of, and show the relationship between the acquired experimental (meta)data. The position is initially limited to 3 years.
The advancement of equality at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon is a matter of course; in particular, we are striving to increase the percentage of women in the science sector.
- Coordination of the software development for multiscale and multimodal in situ characterization methods using X-rays and electrons
- Preprocessing, registration and database integration of multimodal data sets
- Definition and implementation of ontologies for the acquisition and analysis of multimodal data
- Implementation of a common data format to facilitate access and exchange of data and metadata
- Development of a framework for the (multitask) analysis of multimodal data
- Close cooperation with the project partners to ensure the transfer of knowledge
- Implementation of algorithms and the analysis framework at HPC clusters
- Performance evaluation of algorithms and the analysis framework
- Application of algorithms and the analysis framework to implant data and others
- Publication and presentation of your scientific results in international journals and at international conferences and workshops
- University degree (M.Sc., diploma or equivalent) and a doctorate (preferably) or equivalent professional experience (at least 3 years) in computer, natural, engineering or data sciences
- Experience in the automated processing of X-ray tomography and transmission electron microscopy data
- Experience in the analysis of multimodal and multiscale data
- Experience in image processing
- Experience in machine / deep learning
- Experience with high-performance, parallel, or distributed computing
- Strong analytical skills and a sound theoretical background
- Excellent programming skills in Python
- Experience in the implementation of databases and with a database language (e.g. MongoDB, SQL, MySQL) is desirable
- Experience with synchrotron-radiation-based imaging is a benefit
- Team spirit as well as excellent communication and organizational skills
- Excellent written and spoken English skills
We offer you
- multinational work environment with over 1,100 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- childcare services
- Welcome office
Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Then we are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents (cover letter [max. 1 page], CV, list of publications, letter of recommendation, copies/transcripts of certificates including grades, and [link to] pdf file of your dissertation) indicating the reference number 2021/WP 7. The applications documents must not exceed 10 MB.