Position: Data Architect, Data Platform Location: Los Angeles, CA OR US Remote Our Vision We are on a path to become the single largest provider of commercial intelligence and automation across the travel and transportation industry. Starting with airlines, we provide the Cirrus Revenue Operating System™ that reshapes how travel and transportations businesses plan their commercial operation. We displace legacy data, forecasting, pricing, and reporting solutions with a single enterprise SaaS platform that leverages the latest advancements in deep learning, cloud computing, and user experience. Our hyper-accurate contextual forecasts enable the most effective scheduling, marketing, and leadership decisions while directly managing the pricing for billions of dollars worth of product and revenue. To achieve this vision, we’re looking for a talented Data Architect to join our Data Platform software team. This is a key leadership role in our product software engineering organization. Our Data Platform team is responsible for the software to support data at FLYR — tools to manage the schemas in our data warehouse, frameworks for pipelines and data quality monitoring, and the data infrastructure needed to bring leading-edge ML-based products to market. We use Google BigQuery as our primary warehouse, Apache Airflow as our orchestration engine, and Apache Beam / Google Dataflow as our workflow engine, with nearly all of our tooling in Python. As a team of engineers, we strongly believe in fostering an environment for intellectually interesting work that advances your career progression on this journey. Let’s get you on board soon.
What will your destination look like at FLYR?
- -Collaborate with data scientists, data analysts, and engineers to design and define entity models and schemas to represent complex airline business data.
- Understand the data access and data preparation needs of FLYR’s data science team and design data warehousing schemas and systems to allow those goals to be met
- Partner with Product management to support data warehouse evolving to product roadmap & business needs.
- Manage a schema change management process as access patterns and data sources evolve.
- Specify and document constraints and invariants to both understand and communicate the nature of data and enforce data integrity in pipelines and warehouse.
- Translate rich entity models and complex airline data sources into well defined physical table schemas and message payload formats for the warehouse. Assist data engineers and data scientists in best-practices on data access patterns.
- Advise on query performance and assist in optimizing query costs and runtimes.
- Understand storage and query costs for data transformation and ML training jobs, identify inefficiencies, and make both tactical and architectural recommendations to reduce BigQuery spend.
- Communicate & present schema design, data architecture, entity modeling, best practices, and other technical details in an effective manner.
- Educate FLYR data science and engineering teams on the design decisions driving schema design choices.
- Collaborate with Engineering, Product, Support and business stakeholders to identify opportunities / risks and improve process / quality around FLYR Data Warehouse.
What can you bring on this trip?
- Expert technical background in Data Warehousing concepts (e.g. dimensional data modeling) and schema design (e.g. star, snowflake, etc).
- Expert ability to understand a business domain and design effective data schemas to represent business data.
- Strong hands-on experience in designing and managing data warehouses, preferably on a major public Cloud. Knowledge of when and how to apply traditional warehouse concepts to modern Cloud warehouses.
- Expert in SQL. You know your way around analytical and aggregate functions, complex joins, window functions, and are confident in wrangling all types of data in SQL. Expert in rewriting SQL queries for both readability and performance optimization.
- Proficient in Python or other scripting language.
- Preference for past hands-on experience with Google BigQuery and Google Cloud Platform.
Ticket Prices, Frequent FLYR miles and more:
- Equity in Series B startup with high growth potential
- Comprehensive healthcare plans (Choice of PPO & HMO available)
- 401K with company match
- Generous PTO policy and paid holidays
- Flexible working arrangements — full-time remote eligible from anywhere in US
About FLYR’s product Cirrus™, our Revenue Operating System, is deployed by major commercial airlines both internationally and domestically. Cirrus leverages an extensive data- and deep learning infrastructure that was built from the ground up to solve airlines’ most complex commercial challenges. Founder Alex Mans started FLYR in 2013, initially with the intent to remove inefficiencies in airline pricing for travelers. Since then, we’ve shifted focus to address the forecasting and pricing problems at the core of major airlines, and we have built a team with a wide range of experiences in enterprise technology, aviation, and entrepreneurship. We are a dynamic and fast-growing travel tech start-up headquartered in the SoMa neighborhood in San Francisco with a European development hub in Krakow, Poland. Impact of COVID-19 While the effects of COVID-19 on commercial aviation (our primary client base) have been widely publicized, demand from airlines around the globe has exceeded all expectations. On the back of incredible outperformance compared to legacy incumbents in our space, we are on track for an exceptionally strong 2021 and beyond. While the road to travel recovery isn’t easy, you won’t find any other industry as dedicated to continuous improvement and reinvention. Our Commitment to Fairness At FLYR, we are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and embrace a commitment to have our teams better reflect the world around us as we scale the business. APPLY FOR THIS JOB